A dark grey to green dye can be obtained from the fruit.Plants have extensive root systems and can be used for binding sand along the coast.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Prunus maritima. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
The beach plum is cultivated for its edible fruit in N. America, there are some named varieties. The fruit is often sold in local markets and the plant is of potential commercial importance. The fruit seldom ripens when grown in the interior of America. The cultivar 'Eastham' has large well-flavoured fruit and is a heavy cropper. 'Hancock' is an early ripening form with sweet juicy fruit. 'Squibnocket' is of high quality and is also a good sand binder. Most members of this genus are shallow-rooted and will produce suckers if the roots are damaged.Plants in this genus are notably susceptible to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Prunus maritima. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Prunus maritima.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Harris. B. C. Eat the Weeds. Pivot Health (1973-00-00)
- Kavasch. B. Native Harvests. Vintage Books ISBN 0-394-72811-4 (1979-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-182" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Prunus maritima.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.