Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Pittosporum tobira.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Pittosporum tobira.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 7cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Poor to fair percentage.Basal ripewood cuttings late autumn in a cold frame.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Pittosporum tobira. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Hardy to about -10°c, succeeding outdoors on the coast of S. England and in London. Plants can be up to 10m tall in their native habitat but rarely exceed 2m in Britain. There are some named forms, selected for their ornamental value. The flowers are very fragrant, with a scent reminiscent of orange blossom and can pervade the air for a considerable distance. Very amenable to pruning, plants can be cut right back into old wood if required. The species in this genus are very likely to hybridize with other members of the genus. When growing a species from seed it is important to ensure that the seed either comes from a known wild source, or from isolated specimens in cultivation.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Pittosporum tobira. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Pittosporum tobira.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Lassak. E. V. and McCarthy. T. Australian Medicinal Plants. ()
- Ewart. A. J. Flora of Victoria. ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
"image:Pittosporum tobira6.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.