Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Melianthus minor.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Melianthus minor.
Cuttings of greenwood stem tips in a frame in summer.Suckers in spring. They can be planted out immediately or potted up and kept in a frame for their first winter.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Melianthus minor. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Closely related to M. major, but smaller in all parts. A very ornamental plant it is only hardy in the milder areas of Britain, flowering freely in Cornwall. In colder parts of the country it can be grown as a herbaceous perennial, dying down in winter but regrowing from the base in the spring. In these areas the rootstock must be well mulched. The top growth is possibly hardy for short periods down to -10°c, whilst the rootstock is possibly hardy to -15°c if it is well mulched. Plants are often used in sub-tropical bedding schemes.Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Melianthus minor. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Melianthus minor.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Thurston. Trees and Shrubs in Cornwall. ()
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Perennials Volumes 1 and 2. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30936-9 (1991-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)