Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Lycoris sanguinea.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Lycoris sanguinea.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lycoris sanguinea. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is hardy to at least -15°c. Other reports say that the bulb tolerates soil temperatures down to about -5°c. This is a difficult plant to grow outdoors in temperate areas, the plant comes into growth in late summer, flowers in the autumn and the leaves then persist until the following summer when the plant will have a short period of dormancy. These leaves can be killed by hard frosts and, should this happen often, the bulb will be weakened and killed. Plants therefore require a sheltered position to avoid damage to the growing leaves in the winter. Plants need a warm period in late summer in order to ripen the bulbs and induce flowering in the following year. Plants are attractive to slugs and need to be protected from them.Very sensitive to root disturbance, the bulbs can take some years to become well established.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lycoris sanguinea. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lycoris sanguinea.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Matthews. V. The New Plantsman. Volume 1, 1994. Royal Horticultural Society ISBN 1352-4186 (1994-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
"image:Lycoris sanguinea.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.