Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lupinus albus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
The white lupin is sometimes cultivated, especially in S. Europe, for its edible seed and also as a green manure crop. There are some named varieties, many of which have bitter seeds that contain toxic alkaloids and require leaching before they are eaten but some sweet varieties have also been developed. These sweet varieties are perfectly wholesome as food for humans and include the cultivar 'Kiev'. There is some confusion between this species and L. nanus. A deep rooting plant.This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing nearby. When removing plant remains at the end of the growing season, it is best to only remove the aerial parts of the plant, leaving the roots in the ground to decay and release their nitrogen.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lupinus albus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lupinus albus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Frohne. D. and Pf?nder. J. A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Plants. Wolfe ISBN 0723408394 (1984-00-00)
- Cooper. M. and Johnson. A. Poisonous Plants in Britain and their Effects on Animals and Man. HMSO ISBN 0112425291 (1984-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Chiej. R. Encyclopaedia of Medicinal Plants. MacDonald ISBN 0-356-10541-5 (1984-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Bianchini. F., Corbetta. F. and Pistoia. M. Fruits of the Earth. ()
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Natural Food Institute, Wonder Crops. 1987. ()
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Woodward. L. Burge. P. Green Manures. Elm Farm Research Centre. (1982-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-45" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Lupinus albus ru-WP.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.