Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Lilium japonicum platyfolium.
Division with care in the autumn once the leaves have died down. Replant immediately.Bulb scales can be removed from the bulbs in early autumn. If they are kept in a warm dark place in a bag of moist peat, they will produce bulblets. These bulblets can be potted up and grown on in the greenhouse until they are large enough to plant out.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lilium japonicum platyfolium. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This sub-species is more vigorous than the type and has broader leaves. Stem rooting, the bulbs should be planted 15 - 20cm deep. Early to mid autumn is the best time to plant out the bulbs in cool temperate areas, in warmer areas they can be planted out as late as late autumn. A very ornamental plant, it is cultivated for its bulb in Japan and is also a sacred flower in Japanese Shinto rites.The plant should be protected against rabbits and slugs in early spring. If the shoot tip is eaten out the bulb will not grow in that year and will lose vigour.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lilium japonicum platyfolium. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lilium japonicum platyfolium.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kariyone. T. Atlas of Medicinal Plants. ()
- Yeung. Him-Che. Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles (1985-00-00)
- ? The Plantsman. Vol. 4. 1982 - 1983. Royal Horticultural Society (1982-00-00)
- Woodcock. and Coutts. Lilies - Their Culture and Management. Country Life (1935-00-00)
- RHS Lily Group. Lilies and Related Plants. ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Grey. C. H. Hardy Bulbs. Williams & Norgate. (1938-00-00)
- Fox. D. Growing Lilies. Croom Helm (1985-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)