Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Lilium formosanum.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Lilium formosanum.
Division with care in the autumn once the leaves have died down. Replant immediately.Bulb scales can be removed from the bulbs in early autumn. If they are kept in a warm dark place in a bag of moist peat, they will produce bulblets. These bulblets can be potted up and grown on in the greenhouse until they are large enough to plant out.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lilium formosanum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species only tolerates temperatures down to about -3°c. It is not fully hardy outside the mildest parts of Britain and is best grown as an annual or biennial in a cool greenhouse where it can flower in the first year from seed. In a warm climate the plant grows continually and will grow happily in pots in a conservatory. The bulbs can be crammed into the pot with crocks below to give good drainage and a good loose compost above. The form 'Price's var.' is an alpine form of the species, it breeds true from seed and it is hardy if grown in a sheltered spot in the rock garden. The flowers diffuse a delicious sweet perfume. Stem rooting, the bulbs should be planted 20cm deep. Early to mid autumn is the best time to plant out the bulbs in cool temperate areas, in warmer areas they can be planted out as late as late autumn.The plant should be protected against rabbits and slugs in early spring. If the shoot tip is eaten out the bulb will not grow in that year and will lose vigour.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lilium formosanum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lilium formosanum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
- ? The Plantsman. Vol. 4. 1982 - 1983. Royal Horticultural Society (1982-00-00)
- RHS Lily Group. Lilies and Related Plants. ()
- Woodcock. and Coutts. Lilies - Their Culture and Management. Country Life (1935-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
"image:Lilium formosanum.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.