Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Lilium bulbiferum.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Lilium bulbiferum.
Division with care in the autumn once the leaves have died down. Replant immediately. Bulbils - gather in late summer when they start to fall off the stems and pot up immediately. Grow on in a greenhouse until large enough to go outside.Bulb scales can be removed from the bulbs in early autumn. If they are kept in a warm dark place in a bag of moist peat, they will produce bulblets. These bulblets can be potted up and grown on in the greenhouse until they are large enough to plant out.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lilium bulbiferum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Stem rooting, the bulbs should be planted 15cm deep. Early to mid autumn is the best time to plant out the bulbs in cool temperate areas, in warmer areas they can be planted out as late as late autumn. This is one of the easiest lilies to grow, it is cultivated for its edible bulb in Japan. The plant should be protected against slugs in early spring. If the shoot tip is eaten out the bulb will not grow in that year and will lose vigour.The typical form of this species forms bulbils on its stems. The sub-species L. bulbiferum croceum does not normally produce bulbils.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lilium bulbiferum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lilium bulbiferum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- ? The Plantsman. Vol. 4. 1982 - 1983. Royal Horticultural Society (1982-00-00)
- Woodcock. and Coutts. Lilies - Their Culture and Management. Country Life (1935-00-00)
- RHS Lily Group. Lilies and Related Plants. ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. and Rix. M. Bulbs Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30253-1 (1989-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
- Fox. D. Growing Lilies. Croom Helm (1985-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
"image:Lilium bulbiferum mg-k.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.