The fruit is harvested when fully ripe and is dried for later use. It is often decocted with other herbs in the treatment of a wide variety of ailments and also as a general tonic. Some caution is advised in their use, since the fruits are toxic when eaten in quantity. The leaves are anodyne, diaphoretic, febrifuge, pectoral and vulnerary.The bark of the stems is diaphoretic.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Very easy.Cuttings of mature wood, 20 - 30cm in a sheltered outdoor bed in November/December. High percentage.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Ligustrum lucidum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -15°c. A moderately fast-growing plant. It is very tolerant of trimming and will regrow even from very old stems if it is cut back hard. A very ornamental plant, there are some named varieties. The variegated cultivars are best grown in full sun. This plant is a symbol of chastity in China. Closely related to L. japonicum.This species is notably susceptible to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Ligustrum lucidum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Ligustrum lucidum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Frohne. D. and Pf?nder. J. A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Plants. Wolfe ISBN 0723408394 (1984-00-00)
- Reid. B. E. Famine Foods of the Chiu-Huang Pen-ts'ao. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre (1977-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Stuart. Rev. G. A. Chinese Materia Medica. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre ()
- ? A Barefoot Doctors Manual. Running Press ISBN 0-914294-92-X ()
- Yeung. Him-Che. Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles (1985-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Davis. B. Climbers and Wall Shrubs. Viking. ISBN 0-670-82929-3 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Wilson. E. H. Plantae Wilsonae. ()
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-266" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:LigustrumLucidumFlowers.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.