Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Ilex x altaclerensis.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Ilex x altaclerensis.
Cuttings of almost ripe wood with a heel, August in a shaded position in a cold frame. Leave for 12 months before potting up.Layering in October. Takes 2 years.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Ilex x altaclerensis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Dormant plants are hardy to about -15°c if they are given shelter from cold drying winds. The young growth in spring can be damaged by late frosts. Tolerates industrial pollution and maritime exposure. Slow growing. Plants are very tolerant of trimming and can be pruned right back into old wood. A very ornamental plant, there are many named varieties. Dislikes root disturbance, especially as it gets older. It is best to place the plants into their permanent positions as soon as possible, perhaps giving some winter protection for their first year or two[K]. Any transplanting is best done in May or, preferably, in September.Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Ilex x altaclerensis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Ilex x altaclerensis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Diggs, Jnr. G.M.; Lipscomb. B. L. & O'Kennon. R. J [Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas] Botanical Research Institute, Texas. (1999-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Rosewarne experimental horticultural station. Shelter Trees and Hedges. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (1984-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- McMillan-Browse. P. Hardy Woody Plants from Seed. Grower Books ISBN 0-901361-21-6 (1985-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)