Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Fortunella japonica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not hardy in the colder areas of the country, when dormant it tolerates temperatures down to about -5°c. The young growth in spring, even on mature plants, is frost-tender and so it is best to grow the plants in a position sheltered from the early morning sun[K].Kumquats are widely cultivated in China for their edible fruit, there are many named varieties. The plant is less vigorous, somewhat thorny and considerably more cold tolerant (the report gives no details of what this is in comparison to!). Kumquats are hardier than the various Citrus species since they cease growth when temperatures drop below 13°c but, for best results, it is best to grow them in a climate where temperatures do not fall lower than between 4 and 10°c. This is because the fruit is sweeter when it ripens in warm conditions.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Fortunella japonica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Fortunella japonica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Simmons. A. E. Growing Unusual Fruit. David and Charles ISBN 0-7153-5531-7 (1972-00-00)
- Bianchini. F., Corbetta. F. and Pistoia. M. Fruits of the Earth. ()
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Stuart. Rev. G. A. Chinese Materia Medica. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre ()
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- www.foj.info Flora of Japan ()