Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Eryngium yuccifolium.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Eryngium yuccifolium.
A decoction of the roots has been found useful in cases of exhaustion from sexual depletion, with loss of erectile power, seminal emissions and orchitis. A tincture of the roots is used in the treatment of female reproductive disorders. The pounded roots are used as a diuretic. An infusion of them is used to reduce fevers. Chewing the root increases the flow of saliva.The plant is used as an antidote to snakebites. The roots are chewed and applied as a poultice to the bite.
Division in early spring or autumn. Take care since the plant resents root disturbance.Root cuttings in autumn or winter.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Eryngium yuccifolium. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants should be put in their final position whilst small since they resent root disturbance.Where this species is found growing wild in N. America, it is an indicator of native prairie.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Eryngium yuccifolium. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Eryngium yuccifolium.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Coffey. T. The History and Folklore of North American Wild Flowers. Facts on File. ISBN 0-8160-2624-6 (1993-00-00)
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 (1990-00-00)
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 (1980-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Diggs, Jnr. G.M.; Lipscomb. B. L. & O'Kennon. R. J [Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas] Botanical Research Institute, Texas. (1999-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)