Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Edgeworthia gardneri.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Edgeworthia gardneri.
Cuttings in spring.Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Edgeworthia gardneri. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Very closely related to and scarcely distinct from E. chrysantha and E. papyrifera. This species is more tender than E. chrysantha. It is reliably hardy to about -5°c, but it can tolerate temperatures down to -15°c if growing in a well-drained soil in a sheltered position. The flowers are damaged by frost so the plant is best grown on a south or west-facing wall. Plants resent root disturbance and should be put into their permanent positions as soon as possible. This species is cultivated in the Himalayas for the paper that can be made from the bark. The stems are harvested every second year for this purpose.The flowers diffuse a pronounced clove-like perfume and will scent the air to some distance on a calm day.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Edgeworthia gardneri. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Edgeworthia gardneri.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Polunin. O. and Stainton. A. Flowers of the Himalayas. Oxford Universtiy Press (1984-00-00)
- Manandhar. N. P. Plants and People of Nepal Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-527-6 (2002-00-00)
- Gamble. J. S. A Manual of Indian Timbers. Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh (1972-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Focus on Plants. Volume 5. (formerly 'Growing from seed') Thompson and Morgan. (1991-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)