A tea is made from the dried leaves.Immature fruits are added to salads or used as a potherb.
The seeds are purgative.Injections of olitoriside, an extract from the plant, markedly improve cardiac insufficiencies and have no cumulative attributes; hence, it can serve as a substitute for strophanthin.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Corchorus olitorius. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Jute is sometimes cultivated for the fibre in its stem and also for its edible leaves. It makes an excellent spinach substitute in areas with hot summers. This species is not hardy in Britain but it can be grown as a half-hardy annual here, though it grows much better in areas that are warmer than typical summers in this country. Some reports say that this plant is an annual whilst one says that it is perennial. Since the plant is not hardy in Britain we can only grow it as an annual.This species is very closely related to C. capsularis
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Corchorus olitorius. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Corchorus olitorius.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Vilmorin. A. The Vegetable Garden. Ten Speed Press ISBN 0-89815-041-8 ()
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Duke. J. Handbook of Energy Crops - (1983-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Schery. R. W. Plants for Man. ()
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Chakravarty. H. L. The Plant Wealth of Iraq. ()
- Bell. L. A. Plant Fibres for Papermaking. Liliaceae Press (1988-00-00)
- Gupta. B. L. Forest Flora of Chakrata, Dehra Dun and Saharanpur. Forest Research Institute Press (1945-00-00)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- Buchanan. R. A Weavers Garden. ()
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
"image:Corchorus olitorius L.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.