Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Cercis occidentalis.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Cercis occidentalis.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Cercis occidentalis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species does not flower very freely in Britain. Plants do not thrive at Kew, they prefer a hotter climate. Plants require cool greenhouse treatment in Britain. The flowers are produced on the branches of the previous or earlier years, and also on the trunk of the plant. Plants are susceptible to coral spot fungus, especially when growing in areas with cooler summers where the wood is not fully ripened. Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus. Resents root disturbance, plants should be planted into their permanent positions as soon as possible, preferably in May, and should be kept well watered until established.This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing nearby.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Cercis occidentalis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Cercis occidentalis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Yanovsky. E. Food Plants of the N. American Indians. Publication no. 237. U.S. Depf of Agriculture. ()
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Elias. T. The Complete Trees of N. America. Field Guide and Natural History. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. ISBN 0442238622 (1980-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Sargent. C. S. Manual of the Trees of N. America. Dover Publications Inc. New York. ISBN 0-486-20278-X (1965-00-00)
- Munz. A California Flora. University of California Press (1959-00-00)
"image:Cercis occidentalis branch.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.