Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Akebia x pentaphylla.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Akebia x pentaphylla. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Dormant plants are hardy to about -15°c but they can be somewhat tender when young and are best given some protection at this time. The young growth in spring, even on mature plants, is frost-tender and so it is best to grow the plants in a position sheltered from the early morning sun[K]. Resentful of root disturbance, either grow plants in containers prior to planting them out or plant them out whilst very young. A naturally occurring hybrid, A. quinata x A. trifoliata. Plants are evergreen in mild winters. They are fast growing and can be invasive. Plants are not normally pruned, if they are growing too large they can be cut back by trimming them with shears in early spring. Shy to fruit, it possibly requires some protection in the flowering season - hand pollination is advisable. Plants are also possibly self-sterile.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Akebia x pentaphylla. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Akebia x pentaphylla.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 1. Thompson and Morgan. (1987-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Davis. B. Climbers and Wall Shrubs. Viking. ISBN 0-670-82929-3 (1990-00-00)