The following uses are also probably applicable to this species, though we have no records for them[K]: Root - cooked. Flowers - raw or cooked. The unopened flower buds can be used in fritters. The whole plant is dried and used as a tea. A pleasant tea is made from the flowers. The leaves and the roots can also be used to make tea.The root is dried and roasted to make a coffee substitute.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Taraxacum kok-saghyz.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Taraxacum kok-saghyz. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Top growth of seedlings is very slow at first until the root has developed. It is advantageous to mark out the rows with a catch crop such as radishes or lettuce. This plant used to be grown commercially in Russia as a rubber producing plant. It was trialed in various countries during the second world war and was found to yield a commercial harvest in Britain, Scandinavia and Northern N. America. In a trial in N. America plants grew better in the northern U.S.A. and S. Canada than they did in the south of the USA. With the advent of cheap artificial rubber interest in this plant dwindled.Many species in this genus produce their seed apomictically. This is an asexual method of seed production where each seed is genetically identical to the parent plant. Occasionally seed is produced sexually, the resulting seedlings are somewhat different to the parent plants and if these plants are sufficiently distinct from the parents and then produce apomictic seedlings these seedlings are, in theory at least, a new species.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Taraxacum kok-saghyz. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Taraxacum kok-saghyz.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (32202/01/01)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (32202/01/01)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (32202/01/01)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (32202/01/01)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (32202/01/01)
- Polhamus. L. G. Rubber: Botany, Cultivation and Utilization. ()
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (32202/01/01)
- Carruthers. S. P. (Editor) Alternative Enterprises for Agriculture in the UK. Centre for Agricultural Strategy, Univ. of Reading ISBN 0704909820 (32202/01/01)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (32202/01/01)