A decoction of the inner bark has been used as a carminative to reduce gas in the stomach and as a febrifuge. A decoction of the plant has been used in a steam treatment to bring about menstruation - it has been used as an abortifacient. A poultice of the leaves has been used to treat infected wounds or sores. The poultice was left in place over the wound until the leaves stuck to it and was then pulled off, removing the 'poison' with it.An infusion of the plant tops was given to children with poor appetites.
If you have sufficient quantity of seed, it can be sown thinly in an outdoor seed bed in the spring. The seedlings can either be planted out into their permanent positions in the autumn/winter, or they can be allowed to grow on in the seed bed for a further season before planting them.Cuttings of mature wood, taken as soon as the leaves fall in autumn, outdoors in sandy soil.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Alnus viridis crispa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Alnus viridis crispa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Alnus viridis crispa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Schofield. J. J. Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, W. Canada and the Northwest. ()
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- [Flora of N. America] ()
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-43" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.