Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Zizania aquatica.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Zizania aquatica.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Zizania aquatica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental plant, it grows, flowers and fruits well in the lake and lily pond at Kew. Plants can self-sow in Britain, but the seed tends to germinate too late to mature a fresh crop of seed in this country, so the plant gradually dies out. It would possibly maintain itself in areas such as the Isle of Wight, Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. It is a very hardy plant, the seed survives being frozen in ice. Plants grown at a 30cm square spacing can produce 20 or more flowering shoots. Often collected from the wild, this plant is now being cultivated commercially for its edible seed. It is considered a gourmet's delicacy and is sold in many parts of the world, usually in health food shops and usually at a very high price.Plants require protection from wild fowl otherwise they will devour the young growth. Plants are occasionally sown by lakes and rivers in Europe to attract wild fowl.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Zizania aquatica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Zizania aquatica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Saunders. C. F. Edible and Useful Wild Plants of the United States and Canada. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-23310-3 (1976-00-00)
- McPherson. A. and S. Wild Food Plants of Indiana. Indiana University Press ISBN 0-253-28925-4 (1977-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Natural Food Institute, Wonder Crops. 1987. ()
- Komarov. V. L. Flora of the USSR. Israel Program for Scientific Translation (1968-00-00)
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Kew Bulletin. 1909 Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. (1909-00-00)
- Riotte. L. Companion Planting for Successful Gardening. Garden Way, Vermont, USA. ISBN 0-88266-064-0 (1978-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
"image:Zizania aquatica 01.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.