Flowers - raw or cooked. They are delicious raw, and can also be dried, crushed and used as a flavouring.Flowering stem - cooked and used like asparagus.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Yucca rupicola.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Yucca rupicola. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Hardy to at least -5°c, plants have succeeded outdoors in the drier areas of Britain. It flowers regularly outdoors in Scotland. In the plants native environment, its flowers can only be pollinated by a certain species of moth. This moth cannot live in Britain and, if fruit and seed is required, hand pollination is necessary. This can be quite easily and successfully done using something like a small paint brush. Individual crowns are monocarpic, dying after flowering. However, the crown will usually produce a number of sideshoots before it dies and these will grow on to flower in later years. Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.Members of this genus seem to be immune to the predations of rabbits
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Yucca rupicola. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Yucca rupicola.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 (1990-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 4. Thompson and Morgan. (1990-00-00)
- Sargent. C. S. Manual of the Trees of N. America. Dover Publications Inc. New York. ISBN 0-486-20278-X (1965-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-274" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.