Division in spring or autumn. Larger divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found that it is best to pot up smaller divisions and grow them on in light shade in a greenhouse or cold frame until they are growing away well. Plant them out in the summer or the following spring. Cuttings of young shoots, 5 - 8cm with a heel, May/June in a frame. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm with a heel, July/August in a frame.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Thymus zygis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -10°c but are best given some protection in the winter, a pane of glass supported above the plant is usually adequate. This species is harvested commercially for its essential oil. The flowers are rich in nectar and are very attractive to honey bees.This is a very difficult genus taxonomically, the species hybridize freely with each other and often intergrade into each other.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Thymus zygis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Thymus zygis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
"image:Thymus zygis L11.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.