A soft material obtained from the stems is used to make corks and bungs.A gum is obtained from the plant as a result of insect damage.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Puya chilensis.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Puya chilensis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not very cold-hardy in Britain. However, plants can tolerate infrequent short-lived frosts down to about -5°c and can be grown outdoors in the mildest parts of the country. They are growing well at Probus Gardens in Cornwall where they survived temperatures lower than -6°c in the winter of 1995 - 6[K]. The leaves have large, viciously hooked spines.Is the plant monocarpic? A self-sterile species, it is pollinated by birds in the wild. In cultivation, cross-pollination with P. alpestris can be effective.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Puya chilensis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Puya chilensis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Howes. F. N. Vegetable Gums and Resins. Faber ()
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
"image:Puya_chilensis_16.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.