Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Pinellia pedatisecta.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Pinellia pedatisecta.
The following notes for P. ternata almost certainly also apply to this species.
The root is antiemetic, antiphlogistic, expectorant, febrifuge, sialagogue, styptic. Strengthens the spleen. Modern research has shown that this remedy is very effective in controlling nausea and vomiting. It is also an ingredient of a Chinese prescription for removing gallstones without surgery, a process that usually causes severe nausea. The root is also used internally in the treatment of coughs with thin watery phlegm and gastritis. The fresh root is extremely acrid and contains toxins, these are neutralized upon drying or by soaking in tea or vinegar. The root is harvested in the summer and dried for later use, it should not be used fresh.Extracts of the plant have been shown to have analgesic, antiemetic, anticancer and sedative activity.
Division as new growth begins in spring.Bulbils from the leaf axils.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Pinellia pedatisecta. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Pinellia pedatisecta. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Pinellia pedatisecta.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Schofield. J. J. Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, W. Canada and the Northwest. ()
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- ? A Barefoot Doctors Manual. Running Press ISBN 0-914294-92-X ()
- Kariyone. T. Atlas of Medicinal Plants. ()
- Yeung. Him-Che. Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles (1985-00-00)
- Stuart. Rev. G. A. Chinese Materia Medica. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre ()
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
"image:Pinellia pedatisecta leaf.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.