Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Leycesteria formosa.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Plant out in spring. Good percentage. Cuttings of mature wood, 20 - 25cm with a heel, planted in open ground in October/November. Good percentage. Cuttings of greenwood in spring in a frame.Division in autumn. Very simple, plant the divisions out direct into their permanent positions.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Leycesteria formosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is hardy to -15°c, it can be cut to the ground in severe winters but usually resprouts from the base. The flowers, which are delicately scented, are borne at the end of the current season's growth. Birds, especially pheasants, are very fond of the fruit. Plants frequently self-sow when growing in suitable conditions.Plants do not normally need pruning though weak shoots can be cut back to ground level in the spring in order to encourage more vigorous growth.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Leycesteria formosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Leycesteria formosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Gamble. J. S. A Manual of Indian Timbers. Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh (1972-00-00)
- Gupta. B. L. Forest Flora of Chakrata, Dehra Dun and Saharanpur. Forest Research Institute Press (1945-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Polunin. O. and Stainton. A. Flowers of the Himalayas. Oxford Universtiy Press (1984-00-00)
"image:Leycesteria formosa.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.