Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Inula britannica.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Inula britannica.
The leaf is discutient and vulnerary. The flowers are antibacterial, carminative, cholagogue, deobstruent, depurative, diuretic, expectorant, laxative, stomachic and tonic. They are used internally in the treatment of bronchial complaints with profuse phlegm, nausea and vomiting, hiccups and flatulence. The flowers have an antibacterial action, but this can be destroyed by proteins in the body. The plant is harvested when in flower and can be dried for later use. The root is discutient, resolvent and vulnerary.The plant has been mentioned as a possible treatment for cancer of the oesophagus.
If you have sufficient seed, it is worthwhile trying a sowing in situ in the spring or the autumn.Division in spring or autumn.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Inula britannica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Inula britannica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Inula britannica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Chevallier. A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants Dorling Kindersley. London ISBN 9-780751-303148 (1996-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Yeung. Him-Che. Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles (1985-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Sanders. T. W. Popular Hardy Perennials. Collingridge (1926-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Clapham, Tootin and Warburg. Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press (1962-00-00)
"image:InulaBritannica.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.