Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Coreopsis gigantea.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Coreopsis gigantea.
The seed can also be sown in an outdoor seedbed in mid spring. Once they are more than 15cm tall, plant the seedlings out into their permanent positions in the summer. Division in spring or autumn. Very easy, larger clumps can be replanted direct into their permanent positions, though it is best to pot up smaller clumps and grow them on in a cold frame until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the summer or following spring.Cuttings of young basal shoots, May/June in a frame. Harvest the shoots when they are about 10cm long with plenty of underground stem. Pot them up into individual pots and keep them in light shade in a cold frame or greenhouse until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the summer.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Coreopsis gigantea. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not very cold hardy in Britain, tolerating temperatures down to about -3°c. It dislikes winter wet and so is also apt to die out over the winter if grown on clay soils. It is best grown in a greenhouse in this country. The cut flowers last well in water.The flowers are loved by bees.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Coreopsis gigantea. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Coreopsis gigantea.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Sanders. T. W. Popular Hardy Perennials. Collingridge (1926-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Munz. A California Flora. University of California Press (1959-00-00)
"image:Coreopsis gigantea.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.