Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Clethra alnifolia.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Clethra alnifolia.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Very easy. Root cuttings in December/January. Suckers in the dormant season. They can be planted out direct into their permanent positions if required.Layering of current years growth in late autumn. Takes 18 months. Can also be done in early spring.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Clethra alnifolia. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Dormant plants are hardy to about -30°c. A good bee plant, the flowers are very aromatic[K]. There are some named varieties developed for their ornamental value. 'Paniculata' has longer-lasting branching panicles of flowers. Like the species type, the flowers of this cultivar are very sweetly scented. Suckers are freely produced when the plant is grown in conditions similar to its natural habitat, the plant forming thickets.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Clethra alnifolia. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Clethra alnifolia.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Coon. N. The Dictionary of Useful Plants. Rodale Press ISBN 0-87857-090-x (1975-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 4. Thompson and Morgan. (1990-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
"image:Clethra-alnifolia-flowers.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.