The wood has been burnt as a fumigant during epidemics.Wood - beautifully grained, light brownish, takes a good polish. It is used for making furniture, cabinets, the interior finish of buildings etc.
The wood and leaves are analgesic, antispasmodic, odontalgic, rubefacient, stimulant. An infusion is used as an inhalant in the treatment of colds and diseases of the lungs. The plant is more commonly used in the form of the essential oil which can be obtained by distillation of the chipped branches, trunk and wood of the tree, or from the leaves and twigs. Wood 24 - 40 years old is normally used. The essential oil is anthelmintic, antirheumatic, antispasmodic, cardiotonic, carminative, diaphoretic, sedative and tonic. It is used externally in liniments for treating joint and muscle pains, balms for chilblains, chapped lips, cold sores, skin diseases etc and as an inhalant for bronchial congestion. Some caution is advised, excessive use causes vomiting, palpitations, convulsions and death. It is possible that the oil can be absorbed through the skin, causing systemic poisoning.The essential oil is used in aromatherapy. Its keyword is 'Piercing'. It is used in the treatment of digestive complaints and depression.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Cinnamomum camphora. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Camphor is grown commercially in China and Japan as a medicinal tree and also for its essential oil. It is only hardy in the milder areas of Britain, though it can survive occasional lows down to about -10°c when fully dormant. The young growth in spring, even on mature plants, is frost-tender and so it is best to grow the plants in a position sheltered from the early morning sun[K]. There are various large trees that are growing well in Cornwall. A very slow growing tree. The roots are very sensitive to disturbance.There are some named varieties, selected for their ornamental value.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Cinnamomum camphora. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Cinnamomum camphora.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Stuart. M. (Editor) The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Herbalism Orbis Publishing. London. ISBN 0-85613-067-2 (1979-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Schery. R. W. Plants for Man. ()
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Vines. R. A. Trees of Central Texas. University of Texas Press ISBN 0-292-78958-3 (1987-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Stuart. Rev. G. A. Chinese Materia Medica. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre ()
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
- Chevallier. A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants Dorling Kindersley. London ISBN 9-780751-303148 (1996-00-00)
- Yeung. Him-Che. Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles (1985-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- Westwood. C. Aromatherapy - A guide for home use. Amberwood Publishing Ltd ISBN 0-9517723-0-9 (1993-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 4. Thompson and Morgan. (1990-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Thurston. Trees and Shrubs in Cornwall. ()
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-109" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Cinnamomum camphora - camphor tree.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.