The leaves have been used as a sanitary towel, especially after childbirth. A green dye is obtained from the bark. A yellow-gold dye is obtained from the flowers. The growing plant repels insects.The cottony fruiting heads are used as a stuffing material for pillows etc.
An infusion of the flowering stems has been used in the treatment of colds and TB. An infusion of the leaves and stems has been used to treat colds, diarrhoea, stomach cramps etc. It has also been used externally as a wash for sores and skin eruptions, especially smallpox. The plant shows slight bactericidal activity.In small doses, the extracts lowered the blood pressure briefly in rabbits. In large doses, the fall in blood pressure was pronounced, accompanied by circulatory and respiratory failure.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Chrysothamnus nauseosus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Chrysothamnus nauseosus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Chrysothamnus nauseosus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Saunders. C. F. Edible and Useful Wild Plants of the United States and Canada. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-23310-3 (1976-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Craighead. J., Craighead. F. and Davis. R. A Field Guide to Rocky Mountain Wildflowers The Riverside Press ISBN 63-7093 (1963-00-00)
- Duke. J. Handbook of Energy Crops - (1983-00-00)
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Turner. N. J. Plants in British Columbian Indian Technology. British Columbia Provincial Museum ISBN 0-7718-8117-7 (1979-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Hitchcock. C. L. Vascular Plants of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press (1955-00-00)