Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Cardiocrinum cordatum.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Cardiocrinum cordatum.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Cardiocrinum cordatum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
The dormant plant is in general hardy to about -10°c but it comes into growth very early in the year, sometimes in February, and the young growth is susceptible to frost damage. A monocarpic plant, the bulb takes about 7 years to reach flowering size but then dies after flowering. However, it produces a number of new bulblets at the base and can be propagated by these. These bulblets take 3 - 5 years to flower. The flowers are sweetly scented. When planting, only just cover the bulb with leafmould. The bulb is very attractive to slugs, mice and voles and may require protection.Plants seem to be immune to the predations of rabbits.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Cardiocrinum cordatum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Cardiocrinum cordatum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 2. Thompson and Morgan. (1988-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 3. Thompson and Morgan. (1989-00-00)
- Fox. D. Growing Lilies. Croom Helm (1985-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Grey. C. H. Hardy Bulbs. Williams & Norgate. (1938-00-00)
- Phillips. R. and Rix. M. Bulbs Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30253-1 (1989-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)