Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Callicarpa americana.
The leaves are a cure for dropsy. A tea made from the roots is used in the treatment of dysentery and stomach aches. A tea made from the roots and berries is used in the treatment of colic.Some native North American Indian tribes used the leaves and roots in sweat baths for the treatment of malaria, rheumatism and fevers.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood 10cm long, July/August in a frame. High percentage.Cuttings of mature wood of the current season's growth with a heel taken in early spring.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Callicarpa americana. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is hardy to about -18°c according to one report whilst another says that it is only really hardy in the milder parts of Britain, though some forms should prove to be hardier. Requires cross-pollination for good fruit production.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Callicarpa americana. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Callicarpa americana.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- ? Encyclopaedia Britannica. 15th edition. ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 (1990-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 3. Thompson and Morgan. (1989-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
"image:Beautyberry.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.