Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Zelkova serrata.
Seed - best sown in a cold frame as soon as it is ripe. Stored seed requires stratification and should be sown as early in the year as possible. Germination rates are variable. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Zelkova serrata. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
An easily grown plant, it succeeds in almost any good soil, acid or alkaline, preferring a deep well-drained moist loam. Prefers a moderately sheltered position. Relatively shade tolerant. A fast growing tree. Dormant plants are very cold-tolerant, but they are sometimes damaged by late spring frosts when they are young. Plants are susceptible to Dutch Elm Disease, but the beetle that is the vector of this disease rarely feeds on Zelkova so infestation is rare. Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Zelkova serrata. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Zelkova serrata.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Wilson. E. H. and Trollope. M. N. Corean Flora. Royal Asiatic Society (1918-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-58" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Keyaki (Zelkova serrata).JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.