Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Photinia villosa.
Basal cuttings in a frame. Harvest the shoots with plenty of underground stem when they are about 8 - 10cm above the ground. Pot them up into individual pots and keep them in light shade in a cold frame or greenhouse until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the summer. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. They take about 2 months to root and should be overwintered in a greenhouse, planting out in late spring. Fair to good percentage. Cuttings of almost ripe side shoots, 7 - 12cm with a heel, October/November in a cold frame. Lift the following autumn and plant in their permanent positions.Layering in autumn. Partially sever the layer about 12 months later and lift in the following spring. High percentage.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Photinia villosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental and polymorphic species, there are a number of sub-species. P. villosa sinica. Rehd.&Wils. is a taller growing form, to 8 metres, and has larger fruits than the type, up to 12mm in diameter. Plants are susceptible to fireblight. The flowers have a hawthorn-like scent.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Photinia villosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Photinia villosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
- Reid. B. E. Famine Foods of the Chiu-Huang Pen-ts'ao. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre (1977-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-109" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Photinia villosa1.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.