Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Oxalis deppei.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Oxalis deppei.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Oxalis deppei. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is only hardy outdoors in the milder areas of Britain, tolerating temperatures down to about -5°c or perhaps a bit lower if the soil is very well-drained. The bulbs are easily harvested in late autumn, however, and can be stored overwinter in a cool frost free place, replanting them in the spring[K]. In milder winter areas a good mulch is usually sufficient to see the bulbs through the winter and they will then normally be more productive of leaves and flowers in the following year. Plants have survived the winter for several years without a mulch on our trial grounds in Cornwall[K]. A very ornamental plant, flowering freely all summer[1, K]. It was formerly cultivated in Mexico for its edible tuber (this may be a mistaken entry that should have referred to O. tuberosa. Whilst the root of this plant is edible it is neither productive nor very flavourful. The leaves and the flowers are far superior[K]).This species is closely related to and probably part of O. tetraphylla, differing only in its sessile bulbils and truncate leaves.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Oxalis deppei. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Oxalis deppei.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Thompson. B. The Gardener's Assistant. Blackie and Son. (1878-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Vilmorin. A. The Vegetable Garden. Ten Speed Press ISBN 0-89815-041-8 ()
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)