Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Euonymus verrucosus.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Euonymus verrucosus.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Euonymus verrucosus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on cultivation. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Euonymus verrucosus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Euonymus verrucosus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
Thriving in almost any soil, including chalk, it is particularly suited to dry shaded areas. Prefers a well-drained loamy soil. Plants are very cold-hardy, tolerating temperatures down to about -25°c. This species is cultivated in Russia for its Gutta Percha (see 'Uses notes' below). The Gutta Percha is produced most abundantly when the plants are grown in an open, more arid environment.
Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame. Stored seed requires 3 months cold stratification, so should be sown as early in the year as possible in a cold frame. The seed can take 18 months to germinate. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 7cm long taken at a node or with a heel, July/August in a frame. Very easy.
E. Europe to W. Asia.
Broad-leaved and coniferous forests, occasionally in swampy ground, usually by rivers and ravines.
Although no records of toxicity have been seen for this species, a number of plants in this genus are suspected of being poisonous and so some caution is advised.
The root contains 7 - 15% Gutta Percha, this is a non-elastic rubber that is used in making plastics and insulation for electricity wires etc.
- Komarov. V. L. Flora of the USSR. Israel Program for Scientific Translation (1968-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- ? The Plantsman. Vol. 3. 1981 - 1982. Royal Horticultural Society (1981-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)