Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Erythrina crista-galli.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Erythrina crista-galli.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame. Overwinter in a greenhouse and plant out in late spring or early summer.Heeled cuttings of young growth in the spring in a frame. Overwinter in a greenhouse and plant out in late spring or early summer.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Erythrina crista-galli. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are not very hardy outdoors in Britain though the rootstock can tolerate temperatures down to about -10°c provided the stem bases are thickly mulched with organic matter such as leaf litter or sawdust and covered with bracken. The top growth will be killed by the frost but new growth from the rootstock will flower in late summer. A plant growing outdoors at the RHS Gardens in Wisley, Surrey, grows and flowers well in a warm sheltered corner. Its root is mulched each winter to protect it from the cold. A form called 'Compacta' is said to flower more freely than the type. Plants take 3 - 4 years to flower from seed. Plants are difficult to establish, taking some years to flower.This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing nearby.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Erythrina crista-galli. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Erythrina crista-galli.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Diggs, Jnr. G.M.; Lipscomb. B. L. & O'Kennon. R. J [Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas] Botanical Research Institute, Texas. (1999-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Davis. B. Climbers and Wall Shrubs. Viking. ISBN 0-670-82929-3 (1990-00-00)
"image:Erythrina crista-galli2.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.