The leaves are apparently effective in the treatment of toothache if they are chewed without swallowing the juice.The bark is employed in astringent baths and poultices.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Dodonaea viscosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are very wind hardy but are not resistant to frost. They tolerate temperatures down to about -7°c in Australian gardens, but are damaged at about 3°c in British gardens. One report says that they succeed outdoors in the mildest gardens in Britain. Plants are growing very well in pots in a polyhouse on our trial grounds in south Cornwall, but they have not survived in the open ground[K]. Our seed source was from Australia, other provenances might be more hardy[K]. Plants are difficult to transplant when they are more than 60 centimetres tall. Polymorphic, there are a number of sub-species.Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Dodonaea viscosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Dodonaea viscosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Lassak. E. V. and McCarthy. T. Australian Medicinal Plants. ()
- Pesman. M. W. Meet Flora Mexicana. Dale S. King. Arizona. (1962-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- Ewart. A. J. Flora of Victoria. ()
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Wrigley. J. W. and Fagg. M. Australian Native Plants. Collins. (Australia) ISBN 0-7322-0021-0 (1988-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
"image:Starr 011003-0149 Dodonaea viscosa.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.