Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Choisya ternata.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Choisya ternata.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Choisya ternata. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental plant, it usually survives very severe winters in Britain but can be damaged in spells of lesser cold, especially in the New Year. Plants are normally undamaged at temperatures around -10°c but can be defoliated at -15°c. Whole branches have a habit of dying for no apparent reason. The Mexican orange flower is moderately fast growing when young, but it soon slows down with age. The plants are very tolerant of pruning and can be cut right back to the ground if required. Pruning is generally unnecessary for this species, apart from cutting out frost-damaged wood. Some named forms have been selected for their ornamental value. The flowers appear mainly in late spring, but plants can produce a few flowers in the autumn. They often also flower intermittently all through the summer. The flowers are borne at the shoot tips. The crushed foliage has a pungent aromatic scent of oranges and the flowers are sweetly fragrant with the powerful aroma of orange blossom.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Choisya ternata. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Choisya ternata.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Shepherd. F.W. Hedges and Screens. Royal Horticultural Society. ISBN 0900629649 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Davis. B. Climbers and Wall Shrubs. Viking. ISBN 0-670-82929-3 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-244" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Choisya ternata 7.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.