The seed, powdered, with salt is said to be a folk remedy for cancer.Rape oil is used in massage and oil baths, it is believed to strengthen the skin and keep it cool and healthy. With camphor it is applied as a remedy for rheumatism and stiff joints.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Brassica napus napobrassica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Very young plants are susceptible to cold damage, -4°C either killing or injuring seedlings, whereas -2°C has no affect when the plants are more than one month old. The garden swede is often cultivated for its edible root, there are several named varieties. The plant is somewhat hardier than turnips and in most parts f Britain it can usually be left outdoors all winter and harvested as required. Plants take 4 - 6 weeks longer to mature than turnips. Swede is 70% self-pollinating and 30% cross-pollinated. Even if wind and insects are absent, seed are still produced. Yield increases with honeybees.A good companion plant for peas but it dislikes growing with hedge mustard and knotweed.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Brassica napus napobrassica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Brassica napus napobrassica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Simons. New Vegetable Growers Handbook. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-050-0 (1977-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Triska. Dr. Hamlyn Encyclopaedia of Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-33545-3 (1975-00-00)
- Lust. J. The Herb Book. Bantam books ISBN 0-553-23827-2 (1983-00-00)
- Schery. R. W. Plants for Man. ()
- Brouk. B. Plants Consumed by Man. Academic Press ISBN 0-12-136450-x (1975-00-00)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- Duke. J. Handbook of Energy Crops - (1983-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Riotte. L. Companion Planting for Successful Gardening. Garden Way, Vermont, USA. ISBN 0-88266-064-0 (1978-00-00)
- Hills. L. Comfrey Report. Henry Doubleday Research Ass. ()
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Vegetables Macmillan Reference Books, London. ISBN 0 333 62640 0 (1995-00-00)
- Larkcom. J. Salads all the Year Round. Hamlyn (1980-00-00)
- Philbrick H. and Gregg R. B. Companion Plants. Watkins (1979-00-00)