Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Aster kantoensis.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Aster kantoensis.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Aster kantoensis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on cultivation. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Aster kantoensis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Aster kantoensis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
We have very little information on this species and do not know if it will be hardy in Britain, though judging by its native range it should succeed outdoors in many parts of this country. We are not convinced of the validity of this name, it is possible that it is no more than a synonym for Heteropappus hispidus[K]. The following notes are based on the general needs of the genus. Succeeds in most good garden soils, preferring one that is well-drained and moisture retentive. Prefers a sunny position. Most species in this genus seem to be immune to the predations of rabbits. Hybridizes freely with other members of this genus.
Seed - surface sow in spring in a cold frame. Do not allow the compost to become dry. Pre-chilling the seed for two weeks can improve germination rates. Germination usually takes place within 2 weeks at 20°c. When large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and plant them out in the summer. Division in spring or autumn.
E. Asia - Japan.
Waste ground along rivers, C. Japan.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
- www.foj.info Flora of Japan ()
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 2. Thompson and Morgan. (1988-00-00)