Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Abies nordmanniana.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Abies nordmanniana.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Abies nordmanniana. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental tree, it can hold its leaves for up to 26 years. This species grows well in most parts of Britain but it is very susceptible to damage by aphis in some parts of the country. It grows best in the Perthshire valleys of Scotland and the far west of Britain. Trees grow quickly when young, a 60cm increase within 2 years of planting out is not uncommon. It rarely exceeds this rate as it gets older though. Trees should be planted into their permanent positions when they are quite small, between 30 and 90cm in height. Larger trees will check badly and hardly put on any growth for several years. This also badly affects root development and wind resistance. Cultivated for timber in C. Europe. It is also sometimes grown as a 'Christmas tree'.Plants are strongly outbreeding, self-fertilized seed usually grows poorly. They hybridize freely with other members of this genus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Abies nordmanniana. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Abies nordmanniana.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- McMillan-Browse. P. Hardy Woody Plants from Seed. Grower Books ISBN 0-901361-21-6 (1985-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Rushforth. K. Conifers. Christopher Helm ISBN 0-7470-2801-X (1987-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Mitchell. A. F. Conifers in the British Isles. HMSO ISBN 0-11-710012-9 (1975-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
- Davis. P. H. Flora of Turkey. Edinburgh University Press (1965-00-00)
"image:Abies-nordmanniana-habit.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.