Botanical descriptionA large shrub or small tree with spiny branches, glossy green leaves and small, yellow flowers followed by attractive red fruits.
A pepper substitute, it is widely used in the Orient. The Dried fruits can be used directly in a pepper mill. A light roasting brings out more of the flavour. The seed is an ingredient of the famous Chinese 'five spice' mixture. The fruit is rather small but is produced in clusters which makes harvesting easy and each fruit contains a single seed.
Zanthoxylum species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including The Engrailed.
Seed - best sown in a greenhouse as soon as it is ripe in the autumn. Stored seed may requires up to 3 months cold stratification, though scarification may also help. Sow stored seed in a cold frame as early in the year as possible. Germination should take place in late spring, though it might take another 12 months. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a cold frame for their first winter. Plant them out in early summer.
Pick the fuits when the papery shells begin to split, showing the black seeds inside. Pick a whole head of fruits at a time, stems and all.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Zanthoxylum armatum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Zanthoxylum armatum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Seeds (Spice)
- Seeds (Condiment)
- Leaves (Herbs)
- Wood (Timber Dental care Walking sticks)
- Fruit (Oil)
- Fruit (Water Purification)
- Fruit (Odontalgic Stimulant Stomachic)
- Seeds (Tonic)
- Bark (Tonic)
- Branch (Odontalgic Stimulant Stomachic)
- Thorns (Odontalgic Stimulant Stomachic)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (32202/01/01)
- Bianchini. F., Corbetta. F. and Pistoia. M. Fruits of the Earth. ()
- Gupta. B. L. Forest Flora of Chakrata, Dehra Dun and Saharanpur. Forest Research Institute Press (32202/01/01)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (32202/01/01)
- Crawford, Martin Creating a Forest Garden Permanent Publications ()
- Larkcom J. Oriental Vegetables John Murray ISBN 0-7195-4781-4 (32202/01/01)
- www.pfaf.org Plants For a Future (2012/07/26)
- www.wikipedia.org Wikipedia ()
- Gamble. J. S. A Manual of Indian Timbers. Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh (32202/01/01)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (32202/01/01)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (32202/01/01)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (32202/01/01)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (32202/01/01)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (32202/01/01)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (32202/01/01)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (32202/01/01)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (32202/01/01)