Leaf bases - chewed. They are hard to detach from the plant. They sometimes taste sweet and juicy though more often they are tough and astringent. The flowers produce an abundance of nectar and this can be collected from the flowers, either by sucking the flowers or by cooking them up to produce a syrup.The root might be edible.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Xanthorrhoea australis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not very frost-hardy in this country and normally requires greenhouse protection. It tolerates temperatures down to at least -7°c in Australian gardens[K], though this cannot be translated directly to British gardens due to our cooler summers and longer colder and wetter winters. It would certainly be worthwhile trying it outdoors in the mildest areas of the country[K].Other members of this genus should also have the same edible and non-edible uses.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Xanthorrhoea australis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Xanthorrhoea australis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Low. T. Wild Food Plants of Australia. Angus and Robertson. ISBN 0-207-14383-8 (1989-00-00)
- Cribb. A. B. and J. W. Wild Food in Australia. Fontana ISBN 0-00-634436-4 (1976-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Ewart. A. J. Flora of Victoria. ()
- Cribb. A. B. and J. W. Useful Wild Plants in Australia. William Collins Pty Ltd. Sidney ISBN 0-00-216441-8 (1981-00-00)
- Wrigley. J. W. and Fagg. M. Australian Native Plants. Collins. (Australia) ISBN 0-7322-0021-0 (1988-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Carolin. R. & Tindale. M. Flora of the Sydney Region Reed. Australia. ISBN 0730104001 (1993-00-00)