Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Vaccinium ashei.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Vaccinium ashei.
Cuttings of soft wood, May/June in partial shade in media containing pine bark. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm with a heel, August in a frame. Slow and difficult. Layering in late summer or early autumn. Another report says that spring is the best time to layer. Takes 18 months.Division of suckers in spring or early autumn.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Vaccinium ashei. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are not hardy in all parts of Britain, they should succeed outdoors in the milder areas, tolerating temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c. Often cultivated for its edible fruit, there are many named varieties. Plants have a low chill-factor and so succeed in areas nearer the equator such as Florida. There is some confusion over this name with some authorities seeing it as no more than a synonym for V. virgatum. For the time being it will be kept here as a distinct species. Dislikes root disturbance, plants are best grown in pots until being planted out in their permanent positions. Established plants are drought resistant.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Vaccinium ashei. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Vaccinium ashei.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Fruit (Unknown use)
- Simmons. A. E. Growing Unusual Fruit. David and Charles ISBN 0-7153-5531-7 (1972-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Brouk. B. Plants Consumed by Man. Academic Press ISBN 0-12-136450-x (1975-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Small. Manual of the Southeastern Flora. ()