Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Olearia macrodonta.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Olearia macrodonta.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Olearia macrodonta. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental plant, it is almost hardy throughout Britain, tolerating temperatures down to about -15°c if sheltered from cold winds. Flowers best in years following long hot summers. Withstands light trimming but dislikes being cut back hard into old growth, it is best to trim new growth by 50% each year in order to promote basal shoots. Any pruning is best done in the spring. This plant is possibly a hybrid O. arborescens x O. ilicifolia. There are a number of named forms, the cultivar 'Major' is faster to establish than the type.The whole plant is aromatic. The leaves emit a powerful musk scent when bruised whilst the flowers are honey-scented.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Olearia macrodonta. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Olearia macrodonta.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Rosewarne experimental horticultural station. Shelter Trees and Hedges. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (1984-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Allan. H. H. Flora of New Zealand. Government Printer, Wellington. (1961-00-00)