Seed - cooked. A cereal substitute. Very small but easy to harvest and very nutritious. The seed can be cooked whole, and becomes very gelatinous like this, but it is rather difficult to crush all of the small seeds in the mouth and thus some of the seed will pass right through the digestive system without being assimilated[K].The crisp interior of large stems makes a tasty cooked vegetable.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Amaranthus mangostanus.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Amaranthus mangostanus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants should not be given inorganic fertilizers, see notes above on toxicity. Cultivated for its edible seed and leaves, there are many named varieties. It is an excellent hot weather substitute for spinach. There is some confusion over the correct name for this species,  says that it is no more than a synonym for A. tricolor.Most if not all members of this genus photosynthesize by a more efficient method than most plants. Called the 'C4 carbon-fixation pathway', this process is particularly efficient at high temperatures, in bright sunlight and under dry conditions.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Amaranthus mangostanus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Amaranthus mangostanus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 1. Thompson and Morgan. (1987-00-00)
- Larkcom J. Oriental Vegetables John Murray ISBN 0-7195-4781-4 (1991-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Popenoe. H. et al Lost Crops of the Incas National Academy Press ISBN 0-309-04264-X (1990-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-145" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.