The flowering tops are used as a flavouring and in salads. Said to be similar to thyme in odour but milder and more pleasant. The plant is only faintly aromatic and does not really make a very good substitute for thyme[238, K].
The plant makes a good ground cover.There are no material uses listed for Acinos arvensis.
Basil thyme was a great favourite of the ancient herbalists, though it is little used medicinally at present. The herb is diuretic, odontalgic, rubefacient and stomachic. The essential oil has been applied externally as a rubefacient, whilst one drop of it put into a decayed tooth is said to alleviate the pain. The plant has also been added to bath water, especially for children, and is said to be a strengthener and nerve soother. The flowering plant is harvested in the summer and is normally used fresh in infusions.
Seed - sow early spring in a cold frame. If you have sufficient seed then you could try sowing in situ in April or May. Germination should take place within a month. When large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and plant them out in the summer. Division in spring. Basal cuttings in late spring. Very easy[K].
Succeeds in any well-drained soil, though it prefers a light well-drained dry soil in full sun. Prefers sandy and alkaline growing conditions. Dislikes shade. A very hardy plant, tolerating temperatures down to at least -15°c. A short-lived perennial, but the plants usually self-sow when they are growing in a suitable position.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Acinos arvensis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Acinos arvensis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (32202/01/01)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (32202/01/01)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (32202/01/01)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (32202/01/01)
- Phillips. R. & Foy. N. Herbs Pan Books Ltd. London. ISBN 0-330-30725-8 (32202/01/01)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (32202/01/01)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (32202/01/01)
- Clapham, Tootin and Warburg. Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press (32202/01/01)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (32202/01/01)
"image:Acinos arvensis pelouse-chezy-sur-marne 02 29052005 3.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.