Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Acca sellowiana.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Acca sellowiana. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental plant, it is only hardy in the milder areas of Britain. It grows very well on a west-facing wall at Kew where it often produces fruits, though these do not always ripen[K]. A very good crop of fruit was produced on this plant after the cool summer of 1998, these were not quite ripe at the end of October, but they ripened in storage[K]. Plants have also succeeded in Norfolk and in Scotland when grown against a sunny wall, though some extra protection might be required in very cold winters. Succeeds as a free-standing shrub in Cornwall. Tolerates temperatures down to between -12 and -15°c when the plant is fully dormant. Occasionally, and more frequently, being cultivated for its edible fruit in sub-tropical zones, there are some named varieties. 'Apollo' and 'Mammoth' are cultivars noted for their fruiting propensity. 'Smith' fruits well in the Pacific Northwest and so might be suitable for the mild areas of Britain[183, K].Fruits only ripen outdoors in Britain in hot summers. Plants rarely set fruit in Britain, perhaps they are self-sterile. Some cultivars are self-fertile whilst others require cross-pollination.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Acca sellowiana. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Acca sellowiana.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Simmons. A. E. Growing Unusual Fruit. David and Charles ISBN 0-7153-5531-7 (1972-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Natural Food Institute, Wonder Crops. 1987. ()
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Davis. B. Climbers and Wall Shrubs. Viking. ISBN 0-670-82929-3 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Thurston. Trees and Shrubs in Cornwall. ()
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
"image:Feijoa sellowiana edit.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.